THE HISTORY OF TRINITY PARISH
Trinity Church in Newport, Maryland and Oldfields Chapel in Hughesville, Maryland are united to form Trinity Parish. Describing Trinity Parish is like taking a walk through Colonial history. For the Parish, like so many others in the southern Maryland region, was established before our country became the United States of America.
Trinity Episcopal Parish, Charles County, Maryland was created by the Maryland Assembly in 1744. It was comprised of portions of King and Queen Parish, Chaptico and All Faith Parish, Charlotte Hall. The original church was bought from Chaptico Parish. In 1751, a new church was built along with a Vestry House which was completed in 1756.
A vestry was organized in 1750, and on July 16, 1751, the first full time clergyman, Rev. Isaac Campbell, presented his letter of induction from Governor Ogle to serve Trinity Church.
On November 25, 1765, the vestry petitioned the Lower House of the Maryland Assembly to levy 50,000 pounds of tobacco upon the taxable inhabitants of Trinity Parish for the purpose of building a Chapel of Ease in Benedict Hundred. It became a regular house of worship in 1769 for parishioners who lived in Hughesville, Bryantown and Benedict. The Chapel came to be known as Oldfields Chapel.
Trinity Church was dedicated in 1793 by Bishop Clagett, the first Episcopal bishop to be consecrated in this country. In 1865, the Vestry House was used as a schoolhouse. William Wirt, the U.S. Attorney General attended school there.
Many changes have taken place over the years. The mode of transportation has changed, the roads have been paved, the rural area has changed from a quiet country setting to the "sometimes quiet" suburbs of the Nation's Capital.
We must never forget that from those early colonial times to the present, many have passed before us who have given of their time, dedication and financial support to create and maintain the beautiful and quaint churches that comprise Trinity Parish.